Don’t worry if you aren’t familiar with this term – USP.
It stands for unique selling proposition.
Almost every discussion we have with clients comes back to this. What is your USP?
Yes – I’m asking you…
Why do you exist? Why, as a donor, should I support you? What are the THREE things that you do, that no one else does or can touch you on? Truthfully.
Please don’t start reading me your mission statement.
For Agents of Good it is:
1) we collaborate with our clients, include them in the creative and strategic development of everything we do
2) every thought we have starts with the care and concern about your donors and making sure they have a good reason to care and support your cause
3) we are small, nimble, organic and work with any expert we can to give you the best solution we possibly can
We can not be touched or competed with – on these three points. I believe that.
One last example – I am working with a local farm called Black Walnut Lane Farm who sell quality meat – and I do mean quality. They are trying to find more customers to help with their profit levels and last night, we sat around their table in their farm house, discussing USP.
They sell in markets with other butchers who also, like them sell meat. But how are they different than those other butchers?
1) they raise their dexter beef and lambs from birth to slaughter. That meat they are selling – they know everything about it and have provided for it for its entire life.
2) they are experts on naturally raised livestock
3) they are folksy, caring people with a overwhelming passion for providing their customers with exception product
What’s yours? If you know what yours is, you don’t need to tell me – the donor (or customer) – it will come through in everything you do – but make sure you use it in every piece of marketing, branding, communication and strategy that you come up with.
What are three things that NO OTHER competitor can touch you on? It would be interesting to see if your own staff would write down the same three things you do.