Tis the season to gaze into our crystal balls and start to make some predictions about #donorlove in the year ahead.
Here are a few of mine:
– Have more of an emotive range in your communications and fundraising (STOP reporting!!!)
– Add more human faces to the names and signatures at the bottom of letters, on the pages of your websites, in your emails – let your donor know who is talking with them
– Create regular opportunities for your donors to talk TO YOU! Include spaces on your reply devices, add a few back mechanism with your newsletter or an insert in your direct mail pack
– Just SAY NO to passive fundraising – ASK with purpose!
– PLEASE stop being so damn worried about how professional your look, sound, act, talk, move, etc – you seem more robotic and less human all the time – and who wants to give to an uncaring robot?
– Keep thanking your donor until it feels like you are going WAY overboard (BTW – when was the last time you felt like you were thanked too much?)
– Fire your marketing grads, English majors, corporate sector CEO’s and bored Board members – replace them with loving, feeling and PASSIONATE human’s
– Get back to having conversations with humans in EVERY channel – not selling to them. The focus on sales has DESTROYED face to face, telemarketing, direct mail, Facebook, twitter, email and even tinder. Time to start over.
– Tell BETTER stories with BETTER and UNEXPECTED voices.
– Say “thanks” faster
– STOP getting in the way of donors who WANT TO HELP you WIN!
What would you add to these #donorlove trends for 2016?