We are on the verge of a brand new year and already planning and brainstorming for the newest, most innovative and grandiose IDEA that will get all the people of the world TALKING ABOUT and GIVING TO your charity! How AMAZING!
And I think we’ve figured it out. And I’m prepared to give you the NEXT! BIG! THING! Right now… right here… FOR FREE!!!!
Here it is.
Do something that would COMPLETELY change the FEELING (OR EXPERIENCE) of what it means to be a donor to your charity.
Yes – this is likely the MOST INNOVATIVE idea out there for 2015 because no one is thinking about it.
– Call up a recent donor, with no script but full of emotion to let them know how much their $50 was needed and was appreciated! And what you did with it! And say thank you! A few times!
– Take an hour of your Friday and sit down with some unique thank you cards and hand write a short but heartfelt note of appreciation for a volunteer or a donor – letting them know you were thinking of them.
– At your next staff meeting, share a story of a donor’s action – tell your co-workers about how amazing these people are!
– On your next appeal, take the time to add some human touches. A handwritten thank you for past support, hand addressing the envelope, including a photo that demonstrates impact.
– Do more with your “voice”! Consider your emotional range! Think of ways to add (when appropriate and not all at once!) humour, anger, sadness, surprise, frustration, etc to your appeals and communications!
The “NEXT BIG THING” is likely the simplest. When I say NO ONE is doing these things, I mean ALMOST no one.
There are a few charities who get it. And they have donors who love them and will give them anything they need, when they need it. They have donors that, when their name shows up on their phone, in their mailbox or in their email, they are instantly engaged and willing to help. They have donors who tell their friends about their experiences with you, share your stories on Facebook and tweet about how their gift helped fix some small problem in the world.
So to RECAP – the NEXT! BIG! THING! is to find new ways to love and cherish every single one of your donors with the smallest and simplest of actions, SADLY this has become innovative and fresh.
The GOOD NEWS is – you can do it right now!