A few years ago, I got to sit in a session hosted by Derek Humphries from the UK firm THINK Consulting. If you are into creative, and you get a chance, Derek is one of those guys you need to hear speak. His colleague Tony Elischer, is also fantastic.
As part of the session – Derek passed us a checklist of things you should look at before you release your dm/brochure/welcome kit/etc into the world.
1. Is it on brief? (Does the solution suit the original problem formed in the creative brief?)
2. Is it factually accurate?
3. Is it clear who we are talking to?
4. Is it clear what we are asking?
5. Have you explained why?
6. Does it sound important?
7. Is the point made simply?
8. Is the response device (for the donor) simple and easy?
9. Are we doing something that has never been done before?
10. AND MOST IMPORTANT – Does it sing?
I love this list because it’s helped me keep the design I do focused and on target through the years. Your communication piece to donors does not have to be complicated, just stick to the checklist.